Ok, I'll be honest. I'm not going to get analytical on this on. Just impressions. Impressions that could be wrong. But...
1) Where is the defense? Captain Vinny continues to bail out the back left and right. No problem there. But the fullbacks seem to have gone missing, at least as far as defensive duty goes. We seem to be alright if everyone is back, but on the defensive break, we are terrible. Yes, only two teams have let in fewer goals. They happen to be ahead of us in the table.
2) Joe Hart has played really well. He's made a lot of great stops. I can't think of one goal that's gone in where he's made a mistake.
3) Last season, we scored a lot on the break, taking advantage of players out of position on the defense and the creativity of our midfield and attackers. This season, we seam to purposely be slowing down, as if this is the desired tactic. The terrible pace is leaving us to try to ram the ball down the throat of 10 defenders, something we are not quite built to do.
4) Last season, Pelligrini was always focused on the next game, meaning the game at hand. We don't appear to be doing that this year. I'm not sure if its an overall lack of focus or if we are just starting to peek ahead at the calendar. Either way, it's a disaster.
5) The midfield last year was making great passes and taking the ball from attackers. This year, we seems to be making the bad pass and giving the ball away. Stats might prove me wrong, but that's what it 'feels' like.
Technically, you could say we are a better team this year with upgrades in midfield and the back line. Just not seeing it. Yet.